How to Protect and Care for a Wig?
Wigs an investment! You wouldn’t just pay a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for nothing, would you? Proper care for a wig can help protect it’s longevity and keep you looking great.
- When you need to comb your wig, be gentle. Do not use regular brushes, and if you can, only comb it. It doesn’t need combed every day, so let it rest.
- While you’re sitting at home, take it off and put it on a wig stand. The stand will help keep its shape and taking it off your head takes away from your own tugging and pulling hairs out. If your wig is glued or sewed to your head always try to keep it up in a bun or a single braid.
- After washing your wig, do not shake it in a towel. Be careful and dry it piece-by-piece. This makes sure that strands of fibers don’t fall off. Also, never style your wig while it’s wet. Even those wet-to-style hair styles are known to damage your wig.
- After saturating your wig in water, squeeze it dry. Don’t wring it or the base of your wig could become mis-shaped and dry funny.
- While washing your hair, use a sulfate free shampoo. ”Even though normal conditioner is OK, the shampoo is too harsh and can lead to hair falling out.
- You can condition your hair every couple weeks or so, to keep it shiny and soft. Make sure you don’t do that every day and be sure to rinse it all out or it could lead to build-up in your wig.
- Only wash your wig after wearing it for 25 times. If you do this daily or even weekly, it can lead to your wig looking less realistic and falling apart.